Menu button not working in offline mode

Menu button not working in offline mode

Postby Granannie » August 16th, 2014, 9:41 am

I am a newbie with my cougar machine even though I purchased it mid-2012. Currently going through the setup and struggling somewhat. I am at the step of putting the machine in offline mode and pressing menu to obtain the laser settings. However, the menu doesn't change when I press it.

I have tried resetting machine to factory settings, but still no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Granannie

Cutter: BC18", silhouette SD, CE

Re: Menu button not working in offline mode

Postby Gigi » August 16th, 2014, 11:33 am

Am not sure what you want to do. My menu button doesn't work offline either. Curious why you want the laser light on as you only need it for print and cut.

I don't have my Cougar anymore, but on the SB I get the laser light when I push the origin button twice. Again, would love to know why you need the laser light on.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Granannie » August 16th, 2014, 11:46 am

Gigi thanks for responding. I was going through the steps in the Cougar manual that was one of the steps in setting up.

I did actually get the laser light to come on by finding some info on other post.

However, I am really struggling. Can you point me to some tutorials on the basics. For example when I put my mat in the machine and then go online, it spits the mat back out at me. I am sure there is something very simple I should be doing but haven't discovered it yet lol! Think I discovered what was missing, I hadn't set the origin and so it was going back to factory settings.

Thanks again for initial response. Onwards and upwards... hopefully :) :)
Granannie

Postby Granannie » August 16th, 2014, 11:56 am

Hmm... spoke too soon. It is still unloading the mat when I change from offline to online. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Granannie

Postby Gigi » August 16th, 2014, 11:58 am

Which software are you using?

Also - be sure you set your origin before you put the machine online - usually set it in the lower right hand corner of your paper which should be at the front end of your mat - Since you have access to the learning center, try http://blackcatus.com/learn/?page_id=1910 This is option 1 and there is another one. That may help explain it, but I have a feeling you aren't setting the origin first.

Hope that helps.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Granannie » August 16th, 2014, 1:04 pm

I am using MTC and believe that is probably the issue as when I use the test button on the cougar, it draws the rectangle fine. However, when I send a cut from MTC that's when the mat unloads.

I reinstalled the FTDI driver, but it hasn't installed correctly. As I also have SCAL, I will try with that later.
Granannie

Postby Gigi » August 16th, 2014, 2:09 pm

Did you go to the learning center and read how to set up your Cougar using MTC? There is specific information for MTC and for SCAL. Hopefully that will help.

Be sure you are cutting origin (knife point I believe in MTC) and not WYSIWYG as that will cause your mat to spit as well if they are not the same size.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Granannie » August 16th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Thanks Gigi, I think you have identified the problem. The setting was on WYSIWYG. I will try again tomorrow as no more time to play today.
Granannie

Postby Gigi » August 16th, 2014, 5:29 pm

Ok - good. Sorry that didnt come to me initially. LMK if that helps tomorrow...... :)

Good luck!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Granannie » August 17th, 2014, 9:16 am

Progress has been made Yeh! I was able to send a cut to the machine from MTC using the pen and it successfully drew the shape. Still some major learning to go, but at least a small step..

Thanks so much for your help.
Granannie

Postby Granannie » August 17th, 2014, 9:32 am

AND.. first cut successfully made WooHoo, I'm on my way!

I promised the grandkids I would make them vinyl signs for their bedroom doors and was wondering whether I would have the knowledge to do this, but things are looking good. Amazing how a small setting can stall you in your progress.

Thanks again.
Granannie

Postby MeFlick » August 17th, 2014, 6:29 pm

Glad you got it working for you Granannie. I still have my Cougar and I prefer to use MTC with it. There is a learning curve with these machines no matter the software you are using so stick with it! I am happy to help if and when I can. I pop in regularly both here and on the MTC forum so feel free to pm me if I can help in anyway. Note that you can use either the Black Cat Cougar plugin or the KNK Maxx plugin within MTC to cut to your machine. The KNK Maxx plugin needs to have the baud rate changed to match your Cougar's however. The KNK plugin offers features the Cougar one doesn't like the "knife point" mode that Gigi referenced. However, you should be able to use either with WYSIWYG mode without having the mat spit back out - just make sure that you have set the origin correctly. Also, if using WYSIWYG with the Cougar plugin - you have to set the origin in 2" over on the mat as I recall. (I usually just use the KNK plugin anymore as I prefer the "knife point" cutting method. Only use WYSWYG when precise placement of cutting and scoring lines are needed for lining up.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Granannie » August 18th, 2014, 11:54 am

meflick. Thank you for the info and offer of help. I will definitely contact you should I run into more problems.
Granannie

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar