Has anyone cut stencils? What type of material?

Has anyone cut stencils? What type of material?

Postby cduchx » July 17th, 2014, 9:47 pm

I have been making stencils for crafts with contact paper... but it's quite time consuming when I'm doing a lot.... has anyone made their own "permanent" stencils?

I don't live near any craft store or department store so was hoping I could use something "unique"...like wonder if overhead project sheets would work.... also - which blade???

Thanks in advance :)
C
cduchx

Cutter: Lynx

Re: Has anyone cut stencils? What type of material?

Postby Gigi » July 18th, 2014, 12:34 am

A lot of us have cut stencils out of acetate or mylar. The transparencies work really well as does thicker acetate. I have bought sheets from Amazon - cannot remember the brand but will check and let you know, I usually use the 45 degree blade for the thin acetate (transparencies) They cut like butter!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Elizabeth » July 18th, 2014, 6:49 am

I have used overhead transparencies also. My favorite stencil material lately is 12 x 12 plastic sheets that I got on clearance at Michaels. They cut really well and are very sturdy for repeated use.

I cut my first stencil of each design with paper. (I use them in mixed media) After testing, If I feel that I will use it repeatedly, I then cut it from the plastic. I can usually get a few uses from the paper stencil, depending on what I am using them for. Acrylic paints and mediums add a layer of protection, while spray inks tend to cause them to warp and/or fall apart quickly.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby cduchx » July 18th, 2014, 8:23 am

Thank you all for your replies :) I'm going to head out to the office products store over my lunch break and see what they have that I can use. I make mostly wooden signs - then add vinyl - but have been using old barn wood and pallet wood lately and the vinyl barely sticks sometimes - so I've been stenciling - but - it takes so many steps sometimes. If had stencils on hand - make them as I go - I could have a bunch of them :)

I like to begin and end a project in one fell swoop...or TRY anyways :) My crafting time is sporadic with the kids going here - there - you know - the fun summer stuff :) Then the fun winter stuff....it goes on and on :)

I wish I could get a system going - I make things and sell them locally - mostly word of mouth - and a local "sell anything" page on Facebook, then do 1 fall craft show.

I hate staining....and painting takes soo long to dry! I read online where you can use RIT dye - to dye wood - now wouldn't that be interesting? Especially if they made a stain like color... hhmm.... Staining is a good neutral color though to make anything on - that's why I do that most of the time.

Hope everyone has a great day! It's FRIDAY and I only work until 3 today!!!
cduchx

Cutter: Lynx

Postby LisaH » July 20th, 2014, 9:42 am

Those thin "cutting board" plastic mats can be cut as well - just takes a multi-pass and a higher pressure. I bought several at the Dollar Tree (our $1 store) and cut those a while back. Those are really good for use as embossing folders as well. Oh, and that sign stuff (pink or green) in Lowes where the "for sale" signs are - that's great as well. Both of these are thicker than the transparencies talked about above.
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar