New user - help please!

Re: New user - help please!

Postby LisaH » May 20th, 2014, 9:22 am

Have you tried disabling your firewall / security and downloading? I "think" this is one of the ways that it was do-able. Also check in your manager for the security and make sure you don't have it set to "high".
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby MeFlick » May 22nd, 2014, 4:24 pm

Here is some old information I tracked down regarding Windows 7 blocking driver downloads - hopefully it will be helpful to you or others:

"Windows 7 is notorious for blocking driver updates without informing you (it depends on your security settings).

If you are running Windows 7, you will need to open up "Printers and Drivers" and 'allow' the driver update...otherwise it blocks the drivers without actually telling you it didn't allow them...and you think it's done, and you get frustrated... again, it depends on your security settings, it happens to some with Windows 7 and not with othersā€¦"

and also this:

"Here's the information about the Windows 7 blocking drivers:
. . . I downloaded . . . the drivers. . . and rebooted my computer at least 4 times. It was still a no go. In a last ditch effort I went to Printers and Devices on my computer to see if my computer could even see the [machine] and it was there, but had a warning showing a problem. I clicked on the device and it asked me if I wanted to trouble shoot the problem. I clicked yes. It told me I had no drivers for the device. (even thought I had downloaded the drivers several times) I then downloaded the drivers . . . again with the Printers and Devices page open and boom a window came up with several security options in regard to downloading drivers. I'm guessing that on Windows 7 the default option checked is DO NOT DOWNLOAD DRIVERS. I checked the option that said only download drivers after asking me. After that everything has worked just fine"

also on another note with Windows 7 computers and running with cutters:

"Also, check on your power saving mode while running Windows 7 and make sure to deactivate the default that powers down the USB ports to save energy...it causes a lot of headaches and some wasted material sometimes."

Finally, as Lisa also noted - check your security settings and firewall settings especially in your antivirus software program- some people who had problems getting drivers to download had to set these lower or turn them off completely while downloading drivers. Some Antivirus programs will completely block such downloads to your computer. Are you running an Antivirus program?
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby kotchfam » July 10th, 2015, 9:21 am

I'll have to try this. My laptop died in April so I haven't been able to use my cutter since then because it's still not working on my desktop. It's frustrating.
kotchfam

Cutter: Black Cat Cougar 13

Postby kotchfam » July 10th, 2015, 9:23 pm

I had it working on my laptop (windows 8) no problem but windows 7 seems to be not allowing the driver to install correctly. I've scoured the steps on this site and on the MTC site & none of it seems to help. I've manually downloaded the executable file, restarted the computer countless times, installed the driver as the administrator on the computer and it's still not recognizing it.
kotchfam

Cutter: Black Cat Cougar 13

Postby Gigi » July 10th, 2015, 9:40 pm

If you are running MTC, the best we can do if none of the above works is check on the MTC group and see if they have any answers. If there are people here running MTC on Windows 7, they can certainly let you know, but I know we have been able to overcome the issues with SCAL and Windows 7.Most of us now run 8 or 8.1 and some of us who are really techie sick are looking forward to Windows 10! :o

Melanie gave you some excellent suggestions. Beyond that, I would check with the software developer/group.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby PennyDuncan » July 11th, 2015, 9:41 pm

Just thinking out loud here...but I wonder...would the serial cable work better with her using Windows 7 rather then the usb?????
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby MeFlick » July 12th, 2015, 7:14 am

Another question or thought is to check whether or not you have both USB 2 and USB 3 ports on the computer. If so, TRY TO make sure you are using the USB 2 port rather than a USB 3 one. It's suppose to be"backward compatible" (you are suppose to be able to use a USB 2 cable with a USB 3 port) BUT I had an issue where a new computer I got had both USB 2 and 3 ports (but I didn't know that at first) would not recognize my BC at all when plugged into the USB 3 port but did when I plugged it into the USB 2 port.

In regards to Penny's thought, mine does work better with the serial cable and a keyspan adaptor to USB then with a regular USB to USB cable.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Previous

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar