Print and Cut Wishes

Print and Cut Wishes

Postby conicuts » September 17th, 2013, 1:18 pm

The one thing I have never been able to use my Black Cat cougar for is PnC. I'm determined to figure this out! I haven't cut anything for a while until lately and have had to re learn what buttons to push when for my cougar. I do use MTC for my cutting. I have printed out the Calibration Graph and will see if that helps.

Another thing I've noticed when I'm cutting now is my cuts never cut on the mat where they are on the MTC mat screen? I've tried WYSIWYG and knife point and it always cuts where it wants to. Very aggravating. I think something is just way off.

If anyone has suggestions please let me know. At this point I'm ready to see my cougar and buy a simpler machine to use because I want to do PnC. I really want to teach my cougar to do it, but at this point I'm not sure I can.

Not sure if Rachelann or CaseysAngel are still here, but if you are...will one of you give me some advice or hints!
Thanks,
Connie
Image<---- Cut by Connie's projects are Cougar cut...
Cut by Connie
SVGcuts
DigiScrapKits
Lettering Delights
conicuts

Cutter: 16" Black Cat Cougar

Re: Print and Cut Wishes

Postby PennyDuncan » September 17th, 2013, 2:09 pm

Well...LOL I'm sure you won't like my comment.....but I'm sayin' it with a smile... ;) My suggestion is to use SCAL3....LOL I get spot on perfect cuts for print and cut......I can understand your frustration thought on placement in MTC......I had to always really stop and think about it when I was using that program......I'm sure someone who uses MTC all the time will chime in very soon for you girlie!!! ;)
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby conicuts » September 17th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Well I do have SCAL 3 but I have never installed it! I only knew how to use MTC. I guess I could install that and see if I could get it to work.

I just again today tried everything...changing the X and Y values, but using the calibration print out and using the cougar plug in vs. the knk plug in and it never works! It just won't do what it's supposed to do. It won't go on it's own to the first reg spot or anything?

I think it's finally cutting on the page where it is supposed to cut using the WYSIWYG in MTC, but I've only tested one cut so far. I just got frustrated and quit!

Thanks for your help Penny!
Cut by Connie
SVGcuts
DigiScrapKits
Lettering Delights
conicuts

Postby Gigi » September 17th, 2013, 4:21 pm

Whether you use MTC or SCAL (my preference is certainly SCAL), I think you will have better results using knife point in MTC or origin in SCAL because then you set the origin and it will cut where you set it.

Are you remembering to set the origin first so the machine has the orientation it needs? Just wondering...

Hopefully brushing up in the Learning Center will be helpful and we will be here to help if you need us.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby rachellann » September 17th, 2013, 6:04 pm

Hello I am here. Have you been to the learning center Tyler has a pdf you download and print and put on the mat the instructions are on the sheet you need to fine tune those numbers just a bit though and then once you have your numbers enter them into the window for the knk cut to and once that is done the cutting to the paper image is not bad at all Between Sheri Corwins and I we have gotten quite a few where their cutting is spot on. Sheri goes by corwins on here and she also on skype . Make sure when using the KNK plugin make sure the baud rate is 38400.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby conicuts » September 17th, 2013, 7:07 pm

Hi Rachell,
I'm having a hard time finding the PDF that Tyler has. I thought he had made a video too. I'll try to find that PDF again, just brain freezing for some reason today.
Thanks for helping!
Connie
ps...what is that PDF named?
Cut by Connie
SVGcuts
DigiScrapKits
Lettering Delights
conicuts

Postby Gigi » September 17th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Thanks Rach!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » September 18th, 2013, 7:05 am

If you have MTC and use it, you can get "spot on" print and cuts with it and your Cougar. You have to "calibrate" your machine (find the correct x/y coordinates to use) correctly no matter which software program you are using in order to get that "spot on". I think that Rob at ScrappyDew and Tyler worked together to develop the video and the pdf documents that you need and or referring to. I used Tyler's PDF file and got mine to work very quickly. I continue to use MTC with my Cougar and it works just fine. Usually with either program, its "user error" in understanding where things are on the mat and how to load the mat correctly for cutting. If it has been a while since you have used your machine and software you will need to go back and review the basics but it will come back quickly I am sure. Good luck. I know Rach will get you started back on the cutting path!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby conicuts » September 19th, 2013, 4:44 pm

9825599066_8fcfee434d_m.jpg

So yay! After watching Rob's video on how to calibrate the cougar, I finally got as close as I ever have for a PnC.
It is still a little off. This is where I just don't know how to fine tune it. Every time I try and recut it's worse than before. I just don't know how much to change those x and y numbers?
Also on the ruler when I measure, do you count those little marks? The ruler says mm and at the 1 well that would be like an inch. So, I've been counting the little black marks and if it's 3 little marks off I use that measurement.

Does that make sense?
The other thing I haven't tried is installing my copy of SCAL3 to see if PnC will work better. I may do that too.

However, I'm thinking that I may just go on and get that Silhoutte Portrait just for the capability of simple PnC's. Overall, I'm happy that I did get my cougar this close!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cut by Connie
SVGcuts
DigiScrapKits
Lettering Delights
conicuts

Postby MeFlick » September 20th, 2013, 7:04 am

Looking good Connie. As I said before, you have to get the X/Y coordinates figured out for exact cutting and that is just a matter of "fine tuning" it until you get them spot on. It's the same in either software program, you still have to fine tune the X/Y coordinates. I can't enlarge your picture, but it looks like you are really very close so you wouldn't need to be changing those numbers much at all I don't think. Also, when trying to "fine tune" the calibration, it's easier to use a simple shape like an arrow or square alone so you can better see which way its off. Plus, you only want to mess with one of the coordinates at a time, so do the X and then once its aligning properly mess with the Y. If it's "worse then before" then you may be going in the wrong direction with the numbers!

Sorry, I can't be more precise help but it has been ages since I calibrated my cutter for PnC. PLUS, X/Y stuff throws my brain into a tizz! Math was not my forte ;) (luckily for my kids they got their dad's math brain! :D ) so I am not much help in trying to give you help with measurements and such! Did you download the written tutorial from the BC learning center that Tyler and I think Rob put together for doing your laser calibration? It uses an arrow I think to do it with. I had trouble getting mine until I used that information then I found it much easier!

Good luck, you might PM Rach rachellann or Sheri Corwins corwins - they were the queens of helping people get their cougars setup to do spot on print and cuts I believe!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby rachellann » September 20th, 2013, 7:53 am

before you take your images off the mat note where there are in accordance to what your numbers are only adjust one at a time and only by a .05 up or down at a time and make sure to have your first starting numbers written and in front of you so you can go back to them. I only increase or decrees very small amounts at a time going on direction for a few then if it looks off more then stop and go back to the starting number and go the other direction it does take just a bit to tweak it but once you have them them it will be spot on and awesome.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby conicuts » September 20th, 2013, 8:13 pm

Thanks ladies,
I will remember to use plain circles and squares next test and only go up or down by small increments, and change only one at a time. It's really only off by a hair. I really do need to move my printer back to my craft room, because walking from one end of the house to the other was a lot of exercise! LOL
Thanks again ladies!
Cut by Connie
SVGcuts
DigiScrapKits
Lettering Delights
conicuts

Postby MeFlick » September 21st, 2013, 12:37 pm

Let us know how it goes! Maybe I should move my printer out of my craft room so I would get more exercise! ;)
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby corwins » September 30th, 2013, 11:05 pm

I would be glad to help you any night on Skype to fine tune your p/c. I love p/c and it is great on my cougar. I also have the portrait (silhouette- little one). Love it too but can get frustrating because it doesn't always find the registration marks grrrr. Once you have it on your cougar spot on it is great.
My name on Skype is scooterboysmom. Most nights Beanie, Rach, and I are on and we can help you. Just let me know.
Sheri
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt by the heart. Helen Keller

http://www.mycardspot.blogspot.com
corwins

Cutter: Black Cat Cougar 13"

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar