Cougar, MAC a & MTC

Cougar, MAC a & MTC

Postby colleen » May 5th, 2013, 8:39 am

Does anyway her use a MAC and MTC with the Cougar. Can I cut directly from MTC and the MAC if I use the KNK Plug in. I will also be using MTC with the new Silhouette Portrait cutter. Can I use MTC on the MAC and cut directly to the Portrait. I need a new laptop and am thinking about a MAC but dont wont to get it is I cant cut directly from it to the Portrait or Cougar using MTC. Thanks so much.
colleen

Cutter: 13 in. Cougar MTC/SCAL

Re: Cougar, MAC a & MTC

Postby rachellann » May 5th, 2013, 10:15 am

As far as I know only the zing will work with the mac version. Ok went to there home page if you click the little info word beside the mac version it states only the zing works with the mac version at this point.
MTC home page.JPG

there are some who run MTC and their machine through wine and other programs to the pc side of mac but not sure how it all works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby PennyDuncan » May 5th, 2013, 11:21 am

Well...you can color me stupid.....BUT...I think Andy is doing a HUGE disservice to the program by not having more by now.....He's "supposedly" been working on that for I know 2 to years.....So he said.......because I asked him directly.......
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Angel135612 » May 5th, 2013, 12:13 pm

I would think if the MAC version works with the KNK plugin, and the Cougar/Silver Bullets work with the KNK plugin, then there shouldn't be a problem with running your cutter with a MAC and the KNK Plugin.

Colleen, If you can't find someone on the forum using a MAC and their Cougar, see if you can find someone you know with a MAC, and ask them to load the software and see if you can cut to your Cougar that way, before you buy a Mac computer. I don't know any one with a MAC or I would test it for you.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby colleen » May 5th, 2013, 7:45 pm

Thanks, Rachellann and Angel. I like your suggestion Angel and I will try that first.
colleen

Postby Tyler » May 5th, 2013, 8:12 pm

I've used it and it works, however MTC for the Mac is not as smooth as it is for the PC. It is not actually a Mac program but a windows program ported through Wine (that is why the file is so big). Because it runs inside of wine, it has to slow down the transfer of information so the cutting is sometimes a little slower and not quite as smooth.

That being said, the Mac is totally worth it! If you are completely determined to use MTC, then I would get VMware fusion or parallels and install windows in that. Then you use the windows version and it runs just as well as on any PC.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby colleen » May 6th, 2013, 6:51 am

Thanks Tyler. Have you actually used MTC with VMware fusion or parallel? Just curious. Some people dont like to have "windows" anywhere near their precious MAC. I think I am ok with having the two together as long as I can use MTC.
colleen

Postby Thyme » May 6th, 2013, 9:22 am

I've used MTC with Parallels and it worked fine - that was a long time ago though
Thyme

Postby Tyler » May 6th, 2013, 8:15 pm

I haven't used it consistently for a while since he is not really updating the plugins much other than KNK machines. However, I do use it occasionally. I have VMware and it works the exact same as it does on a PC.

I don't mind having windows running on my Mac (it makes it more versatile), but it does take up system memory (ram), just like any program. As long as you are aware of that, you should be fine. :-)
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar