Help! Blade carriage on my new Lynx - DISREGARD

Help! Blade carriage on my new Lynx - DISREGARD

Postby solovoyager » April 17th, 2013, 10:44 pm

is moving slowly.

So I got my Lynx yesterday and had it all set up. I've been trying to read a lot of the tips knowing that there is a steep learning curve in using this machine but eventually will have to jump in and test it out. I've been careful to not try to cut thru the mat but like every new user, I ended up pressing cut accidentally on the SCAL 3 and my cricut blade cut thru right my cricut mat, so I was fine with that, I knew that errors happen. However, when I tried to load a new mat, I turned the machine off and turned it back on to "reset" the settings, I noticed that the blade carriage didn't return to the right side of the machine as quickly as it did before, it took a long time and now my grit shafts are also turning slowly like something is stuck. I also want to note that last night when I was setting up the machine, it was making these whistling noises even though I wasn't doing anything with it, is that normal?
~Lorie
solovoyager

Cutter: Black Cat Lynx

Re: Help! Blade carriage on my new Lynx - DISREGARD

Postby solovoyager » April 17th, 2013, 11:23 pm

Ok, I think I figured it out, I think I inadvertently changed some speed settings, however, I'm still bothered by the popping and whistling noises, not sure if that's supposed to be normal
~Lorie
solovoyager

Postby Suzan » April 17th, 2013, 11:29 pm

the machine will make a noise, whirring is a good description. I think of it kind of like a jet engine. Some call it the cat purring.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby solovoyager » April 17th, 2013, 11:40 pm

no, the noises are not whirring at all, it really pops and whistles, not all the time, I'm still figuring it out when it does it, i expect the whirring sound when the blade carriage goes back and forth (and it does whirr) but these noises are made when im not even touching the machine or its just waiting for a job, ill observe it further
~Lorie
solovoyager

Postby Suzan » April 18th, 2013, 8:25 am

I would email Sherri and ask her about it.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Thyme » April 18th, 2013, 8:52 am

The machines do make their own sounds even when sitting doing nothing, but if you are worried that it is not normal the best thing to do is to make a recording of the sound and let Sherri or myself listen to it
Thyme

Postby solovoyager » April 18th, 2013, 11:46 am

will do, thanks! was going to do it last night but got distracted, playing around right now with velocity and force to do a cut on the cardstock i have, i already nicked the standard mat that came with my lynx =[ my biggest hurdle right now is knowing how to match the images on my scal 3 and loading the mat correctly...forgive me if I don't use the proper terms yet
~Lorie
solovoyager

Postby Elizabeth » April 18th, 2013, 12:20 pm

Hi Lorie,

Have you tried origin point cutting in SCAL? It allows you to place the blade where you want to start cutting, and makes placement much easier. Also, using the pen tool that comes with the machine will help you determine how to place things, without damaging your blades and mats. It IS good to learn where to place things for WYSIWYG cutting as well, as there are specific applications that require it.

If you have cut into or nicked your mat, you may have damaged your blade. So if you aren't getting clean cuts, that may be the issue. (ask me how I know :hide:! )

Sounds like you are jumping right in a learning your machine: Good for you!!!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » April 18th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Lorie

This is why we recommend using the pen tool during the learning process so you can see how the images match up with the mat placement and get a feel for where things are going to cut before using the blade.

And I totally agree with Elizabeth. Using knifepoint or origin (depending on the program) makes cutting so much easier for most projects.Hang in there. You will get it!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby solovoyager » April 19th, 2013, 12:43 am

Thanks! Yes, I do agree that the pen tool helps a lot and saves me paper, used it tonight, however, my problem now is how to cut properly, did one partly successfully and couldn't repeat the cut after. I feel like I'll be wasting a lot of blades and mats and paper before I can get this down. I salute you guys! I need a tutor!! And oh, yes, I discovered cutting from origin, I do find it helpful.
~Lorie
solovoyager

Postby Angel135612 » April 19th, 2013, 9:19 am

It always helps to "practice" on cheap copier paper, and using the test pen that comes with the machine to see what the machine is doing, and where it will be cutting, before using the blade and your "good" papers.
If your box is skewed in cutting, it should also "draw" it that way on the paper, so we can figure out what is going on. But using the pen, saves your blades and paper until you are more comfortable with the machine. When I was learning my machine, I always would try the same file a few times, to see if I got the same results each time... if I didn't, I knew something was wrong and could try to figure out what was going on. If I got the same results more than once, then I was ready to start using the blade, but I still used my "ugly" paper, until I was getting consistent cuts, before I used my "good" paper. Once I learned the machine, I could then start using my "good" paper when I began a new project. Even today, I sometimes still pick one of my "ugly" papers to test a cut before I use my last sheet of "good" paper for a project.

By "ugly" paper I mean any paper you have had in your stash that you look at and wonder why you bought it, and you know you won't ever want to use it in a project, but you don't want to just throw it away. I keep all those papers handy to use for test cutting something for the first time, so I can see what I'm cutting before I use my good papers. I also tend to buy a couple more sheets than I think I need of some papers for projects, so I have some of the exact paper to test and still have enough for my project.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar