New! Need Help!

New! Need Help!

Postby tory » March 6th, 2013, 2:27 am

I purchased a used BC Cougar. I was afraid to touch her the first day. I searched the web for information.

Today I tried cutting, using a light cardstock. I could not get the red click holder to extend unless it was a 5 or 6 so tomorrow I may do surgery on it with the wrench and screw driver, but I changed it out for the regular silver blade holder today. It is out very little, about the thickness of the cardstock. I have the settings of force 65 and velocity 200. I came up with these after much adjustment. I am running it with MTC and the KNK driver. Now I finally got it to cut pretty much through on the straight cuts, but the smaller cut out areas have little tabs (for lack of the proper term) primarily were the lines come together, ex. the sharper end of a teardrop. I am wondering if this is an offset problem. I did brayer the paper down and I believe the holder is the proper height from the paper. I am concerned as I didn't have this problem with my Eclips (but I did with my eCraft).

:banghead: Any Suggestions?
tory

Cutter: 13" Black Cat Cougar

Re: New! Need Help!

Postby PennyDuncan » March 6th, 2013, 6:44 am

Sounds like the first click holder does need to be adjusted....approximately 1 mm of the blade tip should be extended out with the click blade holder on the setting of 1 so you will need to adjust the settings of the clickblade holder.........on the Silver holder it does sound as if you have it just about correct....you also would want the tip to be out by approx. 1 mm........

What is the weight of your cardstock?????? I use GP 110# cardstock most of the time and I used to use a force of 110 however I've come to realize that I get better cuts with just using a force of 70 on the 110#.....perhaps you might need to bump up your force just a tad bit.....also...are you certain your blade doesn't have the most minute of a chip in it????? This could cause it to not get perfect cuts......also making sure you have your blade spaced correctly from your medium....usually using a CD as your gauge will give you the proper spacing......
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby allandra42 » March 6th, 2013, 9:09 am

When putting your blade holder in as penny said place a cd between your carrier sheet and your blade holder before tightening the screw make sure the blade is resting on the cd. This will ensure you are the correct space away from the paper. I use make the cut and the KNK plugin all the time so if I can help I would be glad to. lesa
Hours spent in my craftroom are considered by me "Time Well Spent"
Please visit my blog: http://timewellspentbylesa.blogspot.com/
allandra42

Cutter: 15 inch Cougar, 24 inch Silver Bullet

Postby LisaH » March 6th, 2013, 9:20 am

Are you using a 45 deg or 60 deg blade? This can cause a difference as well. I use SCAL most of the time to cut, but I also have MTC. I keep my overcut/offset set at 1.0 for SCAL on the 45 deg blade and 1.25 for the 60 deg blade...this reduces/eliminates those "chads" you are referring to, so that could be your issue. Just increase it a little at a time until there aren't any left, and if your number gets very high, then we will know it's another issue. ;)

and try bumping up your speed...believe it or not, cutting faster usually gives better/smoother cuts. :D
LisaH

Postby Elizabeth » March 6th, 2013, 1:19 pm

I have my blade offset in MTC set to .30 mm. This must be the default setting, as I have never changed it. It works for me.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby tory » March 6th, 2013, 8:20 pm

Haven't played with machine today cuz I haven't felt well.... My cardstock is some cheap stuff I bought a while ago. It is not very thick and it is not fiberous. Has always cut well on the light weight cardstock setting on my Ecljps (which as copy paper, light-, medium-, heavy-cardstock settings plus vellum, etc.)

I'm just trying hard not to cut up the mat. I was using a 60 degree blade. That's right isn't it? I looked at it under magnification and couldn't see any nicks.

Edited to fix typo.
Last edited by tory on March 7th, 2013, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
tory

Postby LisaH » March 6th, 2013, 8:27 pm

I use the 45 deg for things like that and the 60 for thicker. But, that's my preference...I know some use the 60 for everything.
LisaH

Postby tory » March 7th, 2013, 1:26 am

After working on the click holder and switching out the blades I got a much better cut. I had the 45 degree blade last night and switched it for the 60. I get so confused! lol Didn't know what blade I put in. May need to get some nail polish out!

Now I need to work on orientation. I'm not used to having to line up a mat. Any suggestions for my old eyes?
tory

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar