Lynx keeps pausing

Lynx keeps pausing

Postby beedmom » September 30th, 2012, 8:52 pm

I just opened my Lynx on Friday. :D Several times now the cutter will stop cutting and say "paused" and I haven't touched anything on it or my pc. I can't get it moving again unless I shut off the machine.

While I have someone's attention, how the heck do I know when to add more force vs making the blade longer? I am having issues trying to cut through some thin Basic Grey paper.

Thanks for any help you can give!!
beedmom

Cutter: Lynx

Re: Lynx keeps pausing

Postby Gigi » September 30th, 2012, 9:03 pm

You may have your paper too far over to the left. If it goes out of range it will stop cutting - so if your design and or mat are out of the range of the cutting ability it will pause. My guess is that is why. Which software program are you using?

You barely want the blade to stick out - about 1mm. It's always better to add force than extend the blade unless you are cutting something really thick, and then you probaby need a different blade? Are you using the 45 degree blade? That usually is fine with thin paper. What force are you trying to use.

And you dont' want the blade too far above the mat - about the height of 1 cd.

Hope that helps you get started
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby beedmom » September 30th, 2012, 9:38 pm

Thanks Gigi. Right after I sent the note I found one that asked the same question. I looked before I wrote but, as it always is with me, I see it seconds after I hit the submit.

I'm really struggling with force/length of blade. I bought a click holder and had it on one, no luck. I tried several and it seemed I was either sacrificing my mat, dragging the blade, or not getting through the paper. I read that I should have force around 50 for paper so that's what I've been hovering around. I'm sure it's just going to take time to get used to this. Are there any written sources for guesstimating what force and velosity you should use?
beedmom

Postby Gigi » September 30th, 2012, 10:04 pm

There are guidelines - Penny has one on her blog -http://pennyduncancreations.blogspot.com/2012/07/thought-i-would-review-mediums-with-my.html but we always hesitate to recommend a force as every machine is different. And there are a ton of lightweight papers that all cut at different forces. I keep a log so I know which blade I am using and the force so it works every time once I figure it out.

I use my click blade all the time and love it and it is almost always on 1. My blade is out about 1mm. One text weight paper can be cut at 40 and another at 55, depending on the density. If you are dragging through your mat then the blade is out too far and /or the force is too high. I am guessing the force is too high.

Are you using the test cut? That will save you a lot of wear and tear and help give you a good idea. Start at 40 and see if it's cutting through at all. Then go up by 10 until you have a clean cut without digging into the mat. You will see a fine line in the mat - that's the adhesive, but you should not be able to feel the cut with your fingernail.

And yes it does take time. As you play around you will get a feel for the weight of the paper and instinctively know the force. But as much as I cut, I still do a test cut if it's a new paper or a deeper color. Darker colors are usually more dense.

Keep posting if you get stuck - there are a lot of people willing to help.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby beedmom » October 1st, 2012, 6:15 am

Thanks so much for your help and the link. I just need some idea of where to start and I'll adjust from those numbers. You've been very helpful. Now, if I didn't have that pesky job to get in the way of my fun. :)
beedmom

Postby Elizabeth » October 1st, 2012, 8:27 pm

Something else that makes the force and number on the click blade holder vary is the position of the blade in the holder. It is adjustable, so if you are having real difficulty with your cuts, your holder can be adjusted. I would definitely start experimenting as Gigi has suggested, before going that route, though. She is right, the test cut should be your best friend while you are getting to know your machine.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby sheri625 » October 20th, 2012, 11:06 pm

Another fan of the test cut. I've had most my Lynx for a good while now and I'm pretty comfortable cutting just about anything. I still use a test cut with just about any new material.
Thanks!

Sheri
sheri625

Cutter: Lynx 12"

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar