Help please Experts!

Help please Experts!

Postby scrappinsue » September 19th, 2012, 7:44 am

I am cutting a very intricate cut with vinyl....and I cannot seem to get my Lynx adjusted correctly so it does not tear it up or lift some of the cuts... I have set the blade with a cd, have set speed (V)from 250 now to 200, and Force (f) 45, now adjust to 42.... Not sure what I should be adjusting to get it perfected... HELP!!! Any and All suggestions are very Welcome! :banghead: :o :D
photo (5).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://scrappinsue.ctmh.com

Black Cat Lynx 12in - SCAL3 - Windows7
scrappinsue

Cutter: prospective buyer

Re: Help please Experts!

Postby Angel135612 » September 19th, 2012, 8:04 am

I would lower the force down even more, I usually cut vinyl around 20 to 24, and on something that intricate, I would slow the speed down considerably also.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby LisaH » September 19th, 2012, 8:31 am

Try what Diane says first, and if there is no improvement, also try raising the blade the tiniest bit more...it looks like it may be dragging/cutting too deep because the blade could be sticking out too far from the holder.
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby dlhill » September 19th, 2012, 8:33 am

I have white vinyl that does the same thing. The adhesive seems to be different than the other colors, and it doesnt hold the pieces in place. I can cut a file out of black and it is fine, the white does what your picture shows. Has caused me LOTS of frustration!!!
Denise
paperpastime.com
scal 3 Lynx Inkscape
dlhill

Cutter: Blackcat lynx

Postby PennyDuncan » September 19th, 2012, 8:45 am

I agree..I definately think it's the force you're using....as looking at your picture it looks like you're cutting completely through the backing as well...you are basically wanting just a "kiss cut"...where you cut the top layer but not the bottom.....when I cut vinyl I too do about 20 on the force.....
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Postby Gigi » September 19th, 2012, 10:52 am

Not sure why I feel the need to chime in as all has been said -just agreeing that the force seems way too high.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby sugrfoot » September 19th, 2012, 11:23 am

And when cutting vinyl I have very little blade showing. Almost can't tell it's sticking out.
sugrfoot

Postby scrappinsue » September 19th, 2012, 11:25 am

Thanks everyone. I will give them a try. You guys r great!

scrappinsue

Postby scrappinsue » September 20th, 2012, 6:23 am

It's not cutting through, I love the blue backed white because it is so easy to see...but I'm wondering if that might be some of the adjusting problem... the blue backings seem to be more slick and the vinyl does not adhere as tightly to the backing as others.

Denise, is it the type with blue backing? Also this is 631 vinyl..

What type of vinyl is everyone using with their Lynx?

Thanks again everyone...I will keep adjusting and let you know. Enjoy your Day!!

scrappinsue

Postby newbiecat » September 20th, 2012, 8:53 am

I have some vinyl that also does the same thing - just lifts every time - however on others I had to check my blade with a magnifying glass and found the smallest of nicks in it - changed the blade to a new 45 degree one - raised two cd's above the vinyl - and managed it to cut much better on quite a low force though Loupy says that cutting it faster - oddly sometime works better - go figure ??? anyhow good luck with it

Pandora
newbiecat

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet

Postby kim » September 20th, 2012, 8:58 am

I like the white vinyl with the blue backing just for the reason you stated but it is harder to cut. I cut with a VERY slow speed and just enough force to barely cut through. My force is usually in the 20's and my speed depends on the intricacy of the design but usually around 80. That is just my settings....yours will vary somewhat from mine. Depending on the size, I will also sometimes use a mat with white....if I am not getting good cuts. As stated before, you want your blade to barely be sticking out of the holder. I use the original holder to cut mine....sorry guys, but I still haven't gotten the hang of the click blade and get much better results from my original holder. :D I'm still plugging away on using the click blade holder but when I am just not getting clean results, I always switch to my original. I'm getting better, just not there yet.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby dlhill » September 20th, 2012, 9:55 am

The white vinyl I have trouble with also has the blue backing. I have 2 different rolls(gt5) and both do the same thing. I dont have this problem with any of my other vinyl, and i cut quite a bit. I think it is the backing, and I dont like it! :D
Denise
paperpastime.com
scal 3 Lynx Inkscape
dlhill

Cutter: Blackcat lynx

Postby tamihowse » September 22nd, 2012, 8:14 pm

Funny, I just increased the velocity and it works better!
Here's what I do (and I cut vinyl a lot):
Don't use a mat.
Original blade holder with 45 degree with the blade BARELY sticking out of the holder.
Velocity of about 510 or so.
Pressure at about 40-43.
This works for me almost every time. I just cut something SO intricate, that I couldn't have even drawn that small of a line with a fine tipped felt marker. I wish I had a picture of it, but it's at my shop. I'll try to get a pic posted sometime this week.
I hope it works! Fondly, Tami
tamihowse

Cutter: 24" Cougar

Postby scrappinsue » September 27th, 2012, 6:36 am

Thanks for everyones help.. I am going to cut the same thing today but use white on white vinyl with same setting just to see if it cuts better.... I really think the white on blue backing is fussy!

scrappinsue

Postby scrappinsue » October 22nd, 2012, 6:48 am

Just a quick note to say THANKS for all the help... White on white and my Lynx cut it beautifully but that blue backing..now that's a different story. Lol Have a great week everyone!

scrappinsue

Postby Elizabeth » October 22nd, 2012, 11:09 am

Glad you got it worked out!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby sherri » November 28th, 2012, 10:04 pm

I am SO HAPPY I got a note from Gigi about this. I was tearing my hair out a couple weeks ago trying to cut the white vinyl with the blue back. Oracle 631...OMG! I was goign crazy when she told me others were having the same problem...the back is tooooo slick! I too have cut a LOT of vinyl. Indoor, outdoor...iron on etc. and I have NEVER experienced this problem.....I will stay away from the blue backed white..
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby Suzan » November 28th, 2012, 10:06 pm

I haven't had any problems with this type. I have problems with the Greenstar Red though. No mat is the best way. I even have cut thin strips, I just place the vinyl between the two center pinch wheels, and move them as close to the inside edges as possible.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby LisaH » November 28th, 2012, 10:33 pm

LOL - and I've had no problems with the Greenstar Red...go figure! I know I've cut the white with blue back before but can't remember when and I'm sure I used a mat at that time, cause I've just started not using one in the last month or so ;)
LisaH

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar