Cutting a letter...

Cutting a letter...

Postby NStramler » August 3rd, 2012, 6:33 pm

First time I have used my machine since the last update... I went to cut D. Brown in mistral font.... first time the machine put a cut in my "W" the next time I cut it.. it put a cut in my "D".... next time the "W"... any ideas of what is happening? It sure likes my D's and W's...
NStramler

Re: Cutting a letter...

Postby Angel135612 » August 3rd, 2012, 6:38 pm

What software are you using?? Is your blade the right height? Did you brayer your paper down well onto the mat?? Could the paper be getting "picked up" by the blade, causing it to cut into your design?
Even though it is different letters, is it happening in the same place on the mat or in the cutting area of the machine? I know my machine didn't like one area, and it wouldnt' cut all the way through, but raising the blade holder to 2 CD height instead of one helped with that problem. Not sure it if will help with yours, but it would be worth a try.

Not sure what else to check.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby NStramler » August 3rd, 2012, 6:51 pm

Angel135612 wrote:What software are you using?? Is your blade the right height? Did you brayer your paper down well onto the mat?? Could the paper be getting "picked up" by the blade, causing it to cut into your design?
Even though it is different letters, is it happening in the same place on the mat or in the cutting area of the machine? I know my machine didn't like one area, and it wouldnt' cut all the way through, but raising the blade holder to 2 CD height instead of one helped with that problem. Not sure it if will help with yours, but it would be worth a try.

Not sure what else to check.

The blade is correct.. has not been moved since I got the machine last December... Yes I use my brayer... I am cutting vinyl not paper.. using SCAL3... it is not happening in the same place .. it is doing the D and the W in D. Brown and I did not move it for the cuts... Thanks for trying to help
NStramler

Postby Gigi » August 3rd, 2012, 7:59 pm

Have you tried either moving the cut to another area of the mat? It just sounds like there might be something in the mat that is causing that. I would move the design to cut in a different area and/or put a piece of paper down in the same spot to see if you have trouble with the same letters. I realize it is alternating between the two, if I understand it right, but just wonder if it isn't the placement on the mat.

Is there anyway you can take a picture of the cut so we can see exactly what is happening?
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby rachellann » August 3rd, 2012, 8:44 pm

What version of scal3 I believe 3.27 is the latest if you don't have that version please update.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby newbiecat » August 4th, 2012, 6:44 am

By any chance have you overlapped the letters as in this ?

scal overlap.PNG

If so you need to select both and check the box that says weld on the right side under appearance

hope this helps

Pandora
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
newbiecat

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet

Postby NStramler » August 4th, 2012, 6:00 pm

rachellann wrote:What version of scal3 I believe 3.27 is the latest if you don't have that version please update.

I have the latest version, as I said this was the first time I used it since the last upgrade.. At times I think this machine just flat out hates me...
NStramler

Postby NStramler » August 4th, 2012, 6:02 pm

newbiecat wrote:By any chance have you overlapped the letters as in this ?

scal overlap.PNG

If so you need to select both and check the box that says weld on the right side under appearance

hope this helps

Pandora

Nope.. the letters were not touching. I was using the font mistral (not one of my favorites but a customer requested it) and each time it cut either the D or the W ... hopefully Brutus will decide that he won and just cut like he is suppose to..
NStramler

Postby Suzan » August 4th, 2012, 8:20 pm

I know it would be a pain, but could you cut one letter, and then the other. See if that helps.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby NStramler » August 4th, 2012, 10:07 pm

Suzan wrote:I know it would be a pain, but could you cut one letter, and then the other. See if that helps.

These were big letters.. for a race car. I just kept going and wasting vinyl and pieced them together.. they are done!
NStramler

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar