for serious...BC is eating my paper up...link to pics. HELP

Re: for serious...BC is eating my paper up...link to pics. H

Postby MichelleMyBelle » August 3rd, 2012, 7:22 am

Tyler wrote:Just be careful...

didn't your parents ever teach you to not sniff glue?

Just getting back to this thread. Yes, but I still like the smell. :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:
MichelleMyBelle

Cutter: Pro 18, Foil Master, Platinum 24"

Postby janrichards » August 3rd, 2012, 8:13 am

Surprised that no one mentioned lowering your force and using multi-cut. I have been having great success with that when using heavier stock. If you paper is too heavy for the mat you may want to tape the sides down with tape made for painting, I use Frogtape. Some paper just can't be cut or can't be cut well. Hope you figure it out.
Jan
janrichards

Cutter: 15" Lynx

Postby Kisabird » August 31st, 2012, 11:03 am

everyone...I've been away and I'm sorry I missed all these comments!

I'm using Stardream Metallic papers in cover weight, so like 105#.....I kept trying some things - and the detail blade worked better, but not great.

@janrichards - I spoke to tyler and he directed me to the post on doing repeat cut - to just partially cut the first time with low force and then stronger force for a second or third cut. My designs are also 'pushing the envelope of the envelope' I guess too. I'll post pics tonight of the designs and I'll try to do the multi cut pass this weekend. It may indeed be my paper which is a shame since I LOVE it so very much and recently invested a pretty penny in a bunch of it.
Kisabird

Postby Gigi » August 31st, 2012, 11:09 am

The stardream cardstock is thick and can be challenging to cut. It takes a much higher force for me - and multi-pass sounds like a great way to preserve an intricate design.

Good luck!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Retta » August 31st, 2012, 12:31 pm

Taping it down is a good idea, but it may be your mat is not sticky enough for that paper. Cutting the inside of the letters out first, then the outside will also help. Honestly, it may be that your blade isn't sharp (or has a chip in it - even if it is a new blade)

1. What blade are you using?
2. What software are you Using?
3. - Can you do a shadow on the font and make it just a hair bigger, I can cut that delicately - but the paper makes all the difference?
4. Can we see the file? It may be there are too many nodes for that thin a cut?

Just a few thoughts.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby newbiecat » August 31st, 2012, 1:18 pm

text cutting.PNG

It looks as if it is not cutting through to the bottom layer of the card - i have this problem with some cardstock i have and had to do two cuts to get it to cut accurately - with some other similar I have been unable to get a clean cut with small letters due to the density of the card - wonder if it is the same problem ??

Pandora
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
newbiecat

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet

Postby sheri625 » October 20th, 2012, 11:31 pm

I have had good experience with washing my mats too.

Another good tip is to cut your letters with less force than is needed and then cut it again. That second cut gets all the way through and it's easier on the blade and your mat.

Also, through a lot of painful experience, I've discovered that all paper stock is not created equal when it comes to cutting with your BC. Stampin' Up paper, which I have a ton of, is not great in my cutter. I've torn up TONS of it trying to get good cuts. Believe it or not, if I use my brayer to attached the paper to the mat, then take a sheet of waxed paper and rub it around over the area I'm going to cut, it works a little bit better. However, the fibers that make up the Stampin' Up paper are not ideal for cutting.
Thanks!

Sheri
sheri625

Cutter: Lynx 12"

Postby Angel135612 » October 21st, 2012, 7:16 am

[quote="sheri625"
Also, through a lot of painful experience, I've discovered that all paper stock is not created equal when it comes to cutting with your BC. Stampin' Up paper, which I have a ton of, is not great in my cutter. I've torn up TONS of it trying to get good cuts. Believe it or not, if I use my brayer to attached the paper to the mat, then take a sheet of waxed paper and rub it around over the area I'm going to cut, it works a little bit better. However, the fibers that make up the Stampin' Up paper are not ideal for cutting.[/quote]

I have had that same experience with StampinUP paper... and I have a lot of it also. I can cut simple shapes with that paper, but the more detailed ones don't cut as well. I have decided to use the StampinUP papers more for card bases or mats, instead of for my detailed cuts. Or I will use it for my diecuts with my Fuse or Cuttlebug.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Suzan » October 21st, 2012, 8:09 am

Diane do you think that happens with the Stampin up paper lots of fibers for stamping. Just curious, not being sarcastic. I have heard others say that.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Angel135612 » October 21st, 2012, 8:41 am

Suzan, I am not sure how StampinUP makes their papers.. but I do think it is a lot more fibrous than other papers. When I first got my Cougar, I had a hard time cutting detailed cuts with out having a lot of little fibers around the edges. I didn't notice it so much with simple cuts, like circles or rectangles.
When I first got my Silver Bullet, one of the first things I tried was cutting StampinUP paper, and I got much better results. I still have a few issues with really detailed cuts, but for the most part, I am getting better cuts. I try to not use really detailed cuts with my StampinUP paper if possible just so I don't have problems when I'm trying to create a card or something.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Previous

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar