for serious...BC is eating my paper up...link to pics. HELP

for serious...BC is eating my paper up...link to pics. HELP

Postby Kisabird » June 28th, 2012, 10:58 pm

I thought had this figured out....I did some test cuts on my paper and got the right force set. Then I did a couple of test cuts of part of my design and blam - it's eating, no GNASHING, my paper up. I've adjusted force and speed and blade height - to no avail it seems to be getting worse. My shapes are simple text - sans serif, curved, at 3/8" tall so not teeny tiny by any means. I still have been unable to produce 1 single project yet.

here is where I am now at the end of the night:
http://flic.kr/p/cnCfAC

see how it's just eating the paper up?

this is earlier:
http://flic.kr/p/cnCgDy

it was cutting nicely, but not all the way through the paper, so I upped the force and when I did that, it started to 'catch' on the paper and drag it around - notice the messed up rectangles. I ended up taping down all 4 edges of the paper with blue painter's tape and that seemed to work, so I went on to testing cutting my text and no dice.

another shot from earlier when it started misbehaving.
http://flic.kr/p/cnCeij

any ideas??

is it my design? the paper? the force? the speed?
Kisabird

Re: for serious...BC is eating my paper up...link to pics. H

Postby Tyler » June 28th, 2012, 11:09 pm

I can't see it since you need to be signed in to see the pictures, but it sounds like your mat may be losing its stick.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby Kisabird » June 28th, 2012, 11:14 pm

Tyler,

I've barely used my mat and I always cover it up. how can it already have lost its stick? and how do I get it sticky again? do I need to order the renu sheets?

I'm in colorado, so it's dry, like a desert.

and I don't know why you can't see the pics - it's set to public so you should be able to see. grrr.
Kisabird

Postby kim » June 28th, 2012, 11:26 pm

Tyler, her pics are showing a force of 200 and a speed of 75, at least most of them. 200 is way too high for your force. I would try lowering your force to around 85 (it is going to depend on your paper you are cutting) and lower your speed. See how it does.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Gigi » June 28th, 2012, 11:44 pm

I couldn't see the pics either - thanks Kim for the explanation. Yes sounds like the force is WAY too high......
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Kisabird » June 28th, 2012, 11:44 pm

Kim,

my paper is a 105lb cover weight metallic paper. I did several rectangle test cuts and and I started at 50, then 65, then 80, then 100, 110, 125, 150, 170, 200 until it finally cut through the stock (but not the mat) at 200 for force. It's not that thick, so I was surprised it needed so much force, but the lower stuff wasn't cutting all the way through - maybe I need to get more blade showing and then lower the force and speed? I do notice that the mat is not hardly sticky anymore, so I think even with taping it down - if it's not being held in place to the mat on the full surface area that may be part of it like Tyler suggests too.

You guys are so helpful. I REALLY appreciate it because I never expected this to be this infuriating to figure out.
Kisabird

Postby Gigi » June 28th, 2012, 11:49 pm

If you are not getting results until the force is that high, is your blade holder up too high? And if the cardstock is not sticking that will create additional problems. That could be the reason for your dragging cuts etc- if the paper isn't securely on the mat it's next to impossible to get a good clean cut

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kim » June 28th, 2012, 11:51 pm

Went back to look at your pics again.

1. Make sure you have a good sticky mat....if using a BC mat, you may not be able to feel it being sticky. But make sure you brayer the paper down. If you don't have a brayer, try using a credit card or something.

2. Make sure you set your blade in the holder where you barely see it peeking through. Then set your blade holder with a cd. Whe setting your blade holder, make sure you have not pushing down on the blade holder HOLDER while screwing it.

3. Depending on the paper, you will probably start your force around 60 for thin paper, 70 for thicker and work your way up. With fonts, it is going to depend on the curves, etc. of the font, but you might start your speed around 50 and work your way up to where it still cuts without tearing the letters.

4. If you are still having problems....change the blade. You might have a chip in your blade without realizing it.

5. Take a deep breath. This is an easy fix, just takes patience to see what is causing this and getting used to the forces and speeds that your kitty needs to work at.
kim

Postby kim » June 28th, 2012, 11:54 pm

Just saw your post. I know I am guilty of this one all the time. Make sure when setting your blade holder into the HOLDER (I don't know what else to call it!) that you are not pushing it down while turning the screw. Put your blade holder in until the blade is touching the cd, then screw it in carefully. You shouldn't be having to use that much force to cut through the cardstock. My machine cuts cardstock in the 80's for force. Yours may be different but not THAT different.
kim

Postby kim » June 28th, 2012, 11:57 pm

Sorry for multiple posts....I have a cold and my brain is a little fuzzy and I can't sleep!

Painters tape is not going to work for cutting fonts...it is just going to keep your cardstock from moving, but with fonts, you need to stickiness over the whole area that the letters are being cut from. Otherwise, little pieces come up and start tearing.
kim

Postby Angel135612 » June 29th, 2012, 12:13 am

I was also going to suggest using a brayer to put your paper on the mat, it REALLY does make a difference.
Even if the blade is new, it could have a nick in it, or could just be a bad blade, so I would try changing that as well.
To "re-sticky" your mat, you can just wipe it off with a baby wipe, WITH NO LANOLIN in it (can be found at the Dollar Stores) that will refresh it. IF that doesn't help you can clean off your mat, and then use either the ReNu sheets, or a repositional spray like 3M Photo Mount. The ReNu mats do not feel sticky to the touch, but they hold the paper very well, when using a brayer to put your paper on. (I also live in Colorado, and don't have a problem with the mats losing their sticky due to the dryness).
I would also slow down the speed, until you are more comfortable with how the machine cuts. And I would just cut simple shapes, like circles, squares, triangles, until you get a feel for what settings you need to use. While a 'simple' font may seem like an easy "design" there are lots of curves and turns, and it really isn't so simple. I would also practice on less expensive papers, before you "ruin" all your "good" papers trying to get your setting right.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Kisabird » June 29th, 2012, 12:33 am

Diane,

I have the brayer and do use it, but this stock is pretty rigid, so I did notice it wasn't staying put which is why I taped down the sides. I'll switch out the blade. I'm using the 45 - should I go to the 60 for this instead? I had tested on cheaper papers and had it working, but then this paper seems to be giving me headaches. I'll see if I can find the lanolin-free baby wipes and/or pick up some 3M photo mount. I had the speed at 75, should I go down to 50? or go all the way to 10 you think? this is scrap stock so I don't mind using - as I need to understand how the cutter is going to work on this stock since it's my main stock for my projects. I'm also using the regular blade holder, should I use the clickable one?

again, ALL of you are so helpful. I so so so so SO appreciate it.
Kisabird

Postby Angel135612 » June 29th, 2012, 1:06 am

I don't think you need the 60, but it wouldn't hurt to try that. I don't think you need to go all the way to 10, but again, starting out slow and working your way higher won't hurt. Since you are using scrap stock, again I would start with just doing some squares, or circles before you attempt text. Even in your pics, it showed the rectangles getting messed up, so until you can cut a simple shape with out problems I wouldn't attempt something like text.

There are so many variables to getting a good cut, it is hard to figure it out sometimes, it took me MONTHS (but I didn't have time to work on it for weeks at a time sometimes) before I started getting really good cuts. Not sure what changed, but one day, things just clicked, and now it is a lot easier for me to adjust my settings for different medias. But each machine is different, and what works well for one may not work well in another.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Postby Thyme » June 29th, 2012, 1:34 am

Definitely try the 60 degree blade.
From the photos it looks like your blade needs replacing.
Your mat also needs more adhesive, with fonts the media needs to be well stuck down.
There are also odd occasions when a particular card stock is so difficult to cut that it is worth trying the 60 plus blade.
You also mention it is a metallic paper, depending on what it is exactly, the finish could be blunting your blade fast
Thyme

Postby LisaH » June 29th, 2012, 7:11 am

I didn't notice anyone (sorry if I missed it) asking whether or not you have the tables for your cat? You need to make sure that the mat is staying flat and not drooping down towards the front or back of the machine as this will make the paper lift from the mat therefore breaking the bond and causing the paper to not be "stuck" really well. (ask me how I know - LOL) If you do have the tables, my apologies as this doesn't apply, but if you don't then use reams of paper or anything that you can put in front and behind the cutter to let the mat rest on while cutting to keep it level.
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Suzan » June 29th, 2012, 11:26 am

Also try washing your mat with some warm soapy water and a nylon scrubber, That will help get off any paper goop of the mat and should give you great stickiness again.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Elizabeth » June 29th, 2012, 12:05 pm

I've never done the washing thing. I get so much mileage out of my mats and renu just using the wipes, I haven't tried it. Next time I think I need to Renu, I will give them a wash and a scrub first, and maybe I will get even more use! I used my last set of two mats for 4 months before having to Renu them. Maybe I can get an extra month if I wash them.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby kim » June 29th, 2012, 12:08 pm

Same here, Elizabeth! I just figured mine lasted so long that it was time to ReNu again. Didn't think I could get even more mileage out of them!
kim

Postby Gigi » June 29th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Suzan wrote:Also try washing your mat with some warm soapy water and a nylon scrubber, That will help get off any paper goop of the mat and should give you great stickiness again.

Very true Suzan. It seems like the results should be exactly the opposite, but I cannot believe how sticky they get after washing - amazing!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Louise-paisley » June 29th, 2012, 2:41 pm

washing in just tepid water with a bit of dish soap removes the dust and fibres that build up over time and exposes the glue again ;)
PC running Windoze 7 - Inkscape + Signcut Pro with dongle - SCAL V3 - Adobe Illustrator CS4
24" Cougar - 24" Silver Bullet Pro
Louise-paisley

Cutter: 24" Cougar

Next

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar