Dragging Blade

Dragging Blade

Postby Gramof8 » May 30th, 2011, 6:34 pm

I Had that one beautiful cut which I posted. since then I have had nothing but problems. Right now the blade is dragging across the vinyl when moving to cut areas and leaving scratch marks. I set the click blade holder using the CD like shown. I am starting to get frustrated with my machine. I would like to see it be consistent. I cut vinyl almost 100 percent of the time. Can someone help please.
Last edited by Gramof8 on May 31st, 2011, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gramof8

Re: Dragging Blade

Postby pigtailpat » May 30th, 2011, 7:07 pm

there is a setting when the machine turns on - 600 something or other, and that needs to be lowered - which is the speed to which the plotter arm moves between cuts (up/down?). Tyler is a big advocate of lowering that number - he'll pop in after dad duties.......
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby CaseysAngel » May 30th, 2011, 7:09 pm

If you are using the CD method do you have the vinyl ON the mat and IN the machine before doing it? If so then you need to lift just a bit as apparently you aren't getting it flat. That means you are tightening the blade to tight when it's to low. Simple raise the blade a little bit off the CD and then tighten. That will prevent the drag.
CaseysAngel

Postby CaseysAngel » May 30th, 2011, 7:10 pm

pigtailpat wrote:there is a setting when the machine turns on - 600 something or other, and that needs to be lowered - which is the speed to which the plotter arm moves between cuts (up/down?). Tyler is a big advocate of lowering that number - he'll pop in after dad duties.......

Is that a lynx thing? I've never heard of doing that to adjust the blade on the cougars , though I could have missed it. LOL
CaseysAngel

Postby Tyler » May 30th, 2011, 7:11 pm

There are variables between vinyl. Everything from its color to if it is on a roll to being used with/without a mat will affect it.

Slow your US setting down (go online, hit menu once, press the down arrow until it is at 250, hit menu 2 more times to get back to the online mode).

Also, raise your blade and/or adjust your force just a little bit. The CD method is just an approximation, and when you are trying to get just the right length, it can be tricky.

If none of that is working - have you tried sticking the vinyl on a mat?

HTH!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby Phyllis » May 30th, 2011, 10:42 pm

That's interesting. I have noticed some of those cut lines on my card stock also. I just changed my setting to 250 so I'll see if this helps the next time I cut.
Phyllis

Postby Barbara » May 30th, 2011, 10:45 pm

Try not having the blade out so far. I only have dragging if my blade is out too far or the holder is too low.

Barbara
Barbara

Postby pigtailpat » May 31st, 2011, 5:48 am

yes the US setting that is what I was trying to name in my post - thanks Tyler......
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Gramof8 » May 31st, 2011, 7:57 am

Morning All. Tyler are you saying we can cut vinyl and Not use a mat ? That is something I have never heard if. My mat is not sticky enough and the vinyl has been moving sometimes. Thanks pigtail and Barbara. I tried the blade, changed the US setting. Does that change the speed or what does that setting do Tyler?
Gramof8

Postby Elsa » May 31st, 2011, 8:35 am

In my stack of CDs, the plastic cd shaped cover is not as thick as the actual cds by a good amount. I was using this and had dragging problems. I changed to the actual cd to set my blade and that cured my dragging problem. I am going to try setting it with Tyler's method of raising and lowering with the repeat button, however.
Last edited by Elsa on May 31st, 2011, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elsa

Cutter: 13" Black Cat Cougar

Postby CaseysAngel » May 31st, 2011, 8:52 am

Gramof8 wrote:Morning All. Tyler are you saying we can cut vinyl and Not use a mat ? That is something I have never heard if. My mat is not sticky enough and the vinyl has been moving sometimes. Thanks pigtail and Barbara. I tried the blade, changed the US setting. Does that change the speed or what does that setting do Tyler?

You never have to use a mat with vinyl, or anything else that has a backing for htat matter, you just have to be careful NOT to cut through the backing paper.
CaseysAngel

Postby Tyler » May 31st, 2011, 11:03 am

CaseysAngel wrote:
Gramof8 wrote:Morning All. Tyler are you saying we can cut vinyl and Not use a mat ? That is something I have never heard if. My mat is not sticky enough and the vinyl has been moving sometimes. Thanks pigtail and Barbara. I tried the blade, changed the US setting. Does that change the speed or what does that setting do Tyler?

You never have to use a mat with vinyl, or anything else that has a backing for htat matter, you just have to be careful NOT to cut through the backing paper.

That is correct - you don't need a mat for anything that has a backing that will not be cut through. I have even used the sticky double sided adhesive sheets to let me cut paper without a mat. Not something I do often because I am used to a mat, but anything that has a carrier backing does not require a mat.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby sherri » May 31st, 2011, 8:59 pm

The ONLY thing that will cause a blade to drag and make a mark is if the blade is too low or the mat is warped which causes the blade to be off. Please make sure you are using the CD and not the plastic insert. It is not thick enough. :-)
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar