In need of Tech Support

In need of Tech Support

Postby Simply11 » June 6th, 2012, 12:46 am

Hello- I am running Windows 7 (about 6 months old). I'm using MTC software and also SCAL sometimes.
I had this problem about a month ago and somehow it resolved itself. However, once again I can not cut.
I have reset the Cougar. My BMR #'s are all right, I am on line, I have reinstalled the drivers alot!, Did a system restore, Rebooted, Shut everything off for 5 hours, Bought a new USB, Used my old cricut and I was able to cut (with the same USB) however, my cricut is unable to cut a simple word without looking sloppy. I updated my MTC software.
I had a Geek Squad tech. person come out and they were unable to fix it as well.

When I try & use a USB cord I get this:Cougar Plugin- An error occured when trying to communicate with the target. The system cannot find the file specified.

When I try a USB PDA serial Adapter I get this: Cougar Plugin- An error occured when trying to communicate with the target. Overlapped I/O operation

I don't know what else to do....
I do know that my USB cable has never fit right- The plug opening is crooked and seams like it doesn't plug ALL the way in??
Simply11

Cutter: Black Cat 24"

Re: In need of Tech Support

Postby kim » June 6th, 2012, 3:01 pm

I used to get that error and the Tripplite Keyspan adapter fixed it. It is a device that fits on the USB connector to the PDA connector. I got mine from Sears or Amazon. You don't want to use any cords (the USB or the PDA) except for the ones that came with your machine....Dawn and Sherri have purchased certain kinds to make sure you have ones that will work....not all are the same quality. Many of us have had the problem you are having and I do believe the Keyspan adapter is the solution. If you have any other problems after that, it is usually in the settings on the computer.

Make sure you get the latest driver for the keyspan...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Simply11 » June 6th, 2012, 5:01 pm

Hi Kim, Thank you for your reply. It looks like that is an adapter for MAC? I could be wrong? but I am running Windows 7 and I don't have a male to go with that adapter.
Is there something else for Windows?
I'm using the original USB but on the MTC forum, someone suggested a new USB to see if it was the USB causing the lack of connections...
Simply11

Postby Simply11 » June 6th, 2012, 5:07 pm

ok, sorry (my fault) I do see they have them for Windows too. However, I have a USB PDA Serial Adapter. I'm probably wrong but are these two the same?
Simply11

Postby kim » June 6th, 2012, 10:02 pm

I have Windows 7 on my laptop and I am not computer savvy to know all the names of the serial ports, but I have a Tripplite keyspan adapter on my laptop/Cougar that solved that problem. I also put the same thing on my niece's laptop and Lynx and she runs Windows 7. I would look for an adapter (I didn't realize there was a Mac one...sorry) that will fit your USB and I think the other end has 9 pins (five on top, four on bottom).
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Thyme » June 7th, 2012, 7:04 am

The keyspan works with both Mac and Windows. You need the original serial cable that came with your machine to go with it.
Thyme

Postby Simply11 » June 8th, 2012, 10:25 am

I appreciate the help Kim & Dawn. I've ordered the adapter (should be here Sat.). I'm praying it will fix my problem. I'll let you know.
thanks!
Simply11

Postby Simply11 » June 10th, 2012, 1:06 am

Ok, I purchased and waited 3 days for the Keyspan and it does not fit into the Balck Cat machine.I removed the outer cover, pluged it in, downloaded the software and NOPE. I still get the same errors!! I am ready to send this meachine back.
Besides when I post something here, it takes a long time to be "approved" and I would think whoever is approving my messages would be comenting and trying to help.
It's hard enough to make a decision about what machine to get, I went for the higher priced and better rated machine and I've had so many problems. Over $1000.00 and I'm really frustrated. Now I have to tell customers I can't complete their orders (weddings, baseball/coach partys and a vacation).
Simply11

Postby jobab » June 10th, 2012, 3:05 am

Hi
When using the keyspan adapter the actual adapter does not connect directly to your cougar, you need to plug the serial cable that came with your machine into the cougar then attach that to the keyspan then plug the usb end of the keyspan into your laptop. I don't use MTC but I have run scal and signcut using an adapter with windows 7 (64bit). Also try different ports on your laptop I know sometimes computers can be pedantic with their ports. I have posted my computer settings using scal in the hope it may be of some help. Are you a member on the UK forum? someone over there may have some info on using scal.
settings scal win7 64 bit.JPG

Cheers
Jo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jobab

Cutter: Silver Bullet,Silhouette Cameo,cougar

Postby Suzan » June 10th, 2012, 9:33 am

I use all three softwares with the keyspan adapter. However I use a pc. I can't help with any Mac issues. But I have never had a problem using the keyspan.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Simply11 » June 10th, 2012, 10:37 am

Thank you, I REALLY appreciate your help!

When I go into my Device Manager I don't have the USB serial port 3 that you are showing....Maybe that is my problem?
Is there somewhere I can go to obtain this?
Also, I have my (cougar provided) USB serial cable plugged into the cougar, however, the Keyspan adapter only has a 9 prong opening and the square opening. There is no where to plug the USB into the keyspan {I really feel stupid}.
What am I missing here? This worked for the last 6 months and now I on;y get errors.....

Maybe the lack of the USB port?
Simply11

Postby Thyme » June 10th, 2012, 10:49 am

Have you installed the keyspan driver?
The usb cable goes into the square opening in the keyspan
Thyme

Postby granlin » June 10th, 2012, 11:12 pm

I have not used my usb cable yet and I am confussed as to what I would use it for???? Help I have had a blonde senior moment.
granlin

Cutter: BlackCat 13" Cougar

Postby Simply11 » June 10th, 2012, 11:55 pm

Yes, I installed the driver. The only openings are the square side and the 9 prong openings.
Simply11

Postby Suzan » June 11th, 2012, 12:07 am

Take the square end of the USB cable and connect it to the square part of the keyspan adapter. Then take the serial cable and connect it to the other end of the keyspan and then to your cougar. Then you plug in the normal flatter end of the usb cable to the computer.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby ladysif » May 14th, 2019, 10:55 am

I purchase a Triplet keyspan adapter but.... it won't fit due to the plastic casing around it - can't get it on the machine. Are there other keyspan adapters that don't have all the extra around them?
ladysif

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24 inch

Postby Gigi » May 14th, 2019, 3:50 pm

I have used the Keyspan adapter in the past and had no issues with it fitting - the one in the black case. There are several varieties and I don't know which one you are using. The one I have used had the connection inset and it fit neatly over the machine serial port adapter. If I still had it I could tell you exactly which one but it isn't the one that has the connection sticking out. It may not be something you need - only if you are having intermittent connection problems.

Since you haven't used your machine and it has been sitting for many years, it could be a machine issue and not the connection per se. What makes you think you need the keyspan? What issue(s) are you having?

Thanks.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby ladysif » May 14th, 2019, 7:53 pm

I do use my machine quite regularly. I had started cutting iron on vinyl for some t-shirts. The first couple cut just fine but then I started noticing drag marks.
Changed the blade. Still dragging. Then I read another post about the dragging on their solution of it being a loose connection and wrapping the end with tape. Didn't solve my issue. Another post mentioned using a keyspan adapter so I bought one - plastic case kept it from connecting.

I was going to send it back but decided to remove the case and try again. Installed the driver - no connection. Rebooted computer - no connection.

Frustrated because I have the t-shirts to finish and another job of auto decals to do and would prefer no drag marks. I should also note that as I continued to cut - drag marks got worse and some cut lines were not cutting anymore.
ladysif

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24 inch

Postby Gigi » May 14th, 2019, 9:26 pm

I am sorry - I was emailing with a different Helen and I confused the two of you - forgive me.

Are you cutting with a mat or without. Another reason for dragging would be that the mat is not flat but if you are cutting vinyl off the role that would not be it. Are you sure the blade holder is in there securely and it isn't slipping? The keyspan adapter was often needed on some of the older machines. I haven't heard of anyone needing one on the newer ones, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Have you checked the blade to be sure it isn't slipping inside the holder? Have you tried cutting a different material to see if you have the same issues on card stock, for instance? Just trying to isolate what could be the problem.
Which blade holder are you using? Have you tried taking the blade holder out and putting it in again and double checking the clamp to be sure it's tight?

So please let us know if you are using a mat or not, if you have double checked the clamp and holder, what happens when you cut a different material for starters. If you are cutting off the roll, is it flat or curled, If its not flat that could also cause the blade to drag and give you erratic cuts. HTV is also better cut from the back side (reverse the image). Once you give me more information I will see if I can narrow down the issue. Thank you.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » May 15th, 2019, 7:01 am

You have this posted in the old “Black Cat”/Lynx” subforum, but your profile shows you own a Silver Bullet. As Gigi noted, it was these older machines that sometimes needed to use the Keyspan adaptor because of needing to slow the data down to use the serial port rather than the USB directly. I originally had a Black Cat Cougar and had to get one to help with that issue. However, once I upgraded to the Silver Bullet, I have never needed to use a keyspan adaptor and have never been aware of anyone else needing one with a bullet.

Normally, when there is “dragging” of a blade, especially when it gets worse as you go further into cutting, the problem is with the blade housing not being seated properly and not being tight enough in the clamp and it is dropping to low in the clamp and continues to slip down and drop the more you are cutting. I would do as Gigi has suggested and check your blade holder, for debris, make sure it is seated properly in the clamps (are you using the spacer to set above your mat and media or eyeballing placement?) and make sure you have it tighten sufficiently in the clamps. also, with vinyl in particular, you need very little blade exposed. Then watch as you cut, and see if it is slowly working it’s self loose in the clamp and dropping down at all if still get drag marks. Try it with scrap vinyl or better, card stock as it is easier to see marks. Also, if you haven’t, if this is an older blade, try using a new blade.sometimes when using an old blade, we have to use more depth and pressure on a blade and it is possible that could cause some minor issues with dragging if we have the blade out to much.

Eliminate the keyspan altogether, Post back and let us know the answers to Gigi’s questions, and do some testing after you have done what we have suggested and let us know the results of your further testing and hopefully thst will resolve your dragging. If not, we can go from there.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Next

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar