Scoring......with blade..........

Scoring......with blade..........

Postby pigtailpat » September 24th, 2011, 7:45 am

OK - so because I don't have the engraver yet for scoring...(will do when the tables make their debut)..I need to score using the blade.

So I know you have to back off the pressure/force to score - question is how much? Do you subtract half to back off? Any rule of thumb? My line for scoring is dashed....

Thanks! Hafta run on errands will be back later to see. I'm in the final stages of the box and will be posting later today. It MUST be ready for tomorrow!!! I am very pleased about how it is coming out....

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Scoring......with blade..........

Postby Thyme » September 24th, 2011, 8:18 am

I tend to use about 20% of the cutting pressure, but you are best to do a test cut
Thyme

Postby pigtailpat » September 24th, 2011, 8:36 am

dawn thanks for that...I'll start with 20%..I know the cutting pressure..using same media (although today the weather is moisture laden....could be a little different)..all I really want to do is sort of mark the paper in the correct places so I can go back and use the score board if necessary...

bbl..running out again...
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Suzan » September 24th, 2011, 10:13 am

I think I use slightly less pressure than that but very close, it depends on the paper how deep I make my score lines. I also always fold the scored side out on thicker card stock and use a brayer to make the creases super sharp.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby whizzy » September 24th, 2011, 5:17 pm

I'm still waiting on getting all these necessary supplies too, so will give this a try. Up till now I've manually scored everything.
www.scrapsofstuff.com
Mac OS X 10.9, Windows 7
Inkscape, Signcut Pro (with dongle) & Scal3  tiny bites! )
whizzy

Cutter: 18" Cougar

Postby pigtailpat » September 24th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Whizzy - try it you will like it. Using the rough 20% worked for me. It still folded as necessary, and it did not look cut up. It is still not like a scor board, for that I really want the engraver. Once I get the engraver, I will be scoring away. When I scored on the gazzy with an engraver, I did full lines (not dashed), and with an engraver, really is the best (end result with an engraver is much more like a scor board). Initially when I bought this machine in June, I did not think I will need the engraver since I have with the gazzy. But now, I really want all the cougar accessories, because I really want to use them in conjunction with the machine.
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » September 24th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Always learning here - never thought of using the engraver to score. What a great idea.

I do as most of you and reduce the force to get the line and then usually "re-score" it on the Scor It. Great idea!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby whizzy » September 24th, 2011, 7:27 pm

I'm going to give it a try today — have a couple of things I want to get done but kept thinking I'd hold off on until I had the right tools.
www.scrapsofstuff.com
Mac OS X 10.9, Windows 7
Inkscape, Signcut Pro (with dongle) & Scal3  tiny bites! )
whizzy

Cutter: 18" Cougar

Postby Tyler » September 24th, 2011, 7:33 pm

The engraver really is an awesome tool to have!! It is my favorite accessory!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby Gigi » September 24th, 2011, 7:42 pm

I have it - I just haven't used it cuz I hate changing things out! Dumb reason I know!! So if you score with the engraver do you do that at about 20% or was that formula for the regular blade which is what I have been using.

Boy do I have a lot of experimenting and learning to do!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby pigtailpat » September 24th, 2011, 8:00 pm

Gigi -

Get out that engraver! That's an order!! You will thank me later.

Engraving on the gazzy was my favorite thing! On the cougar, with the additional force available, it has got to be the best ever!! Once the tables come into being, I'm getting mine with the tables. I had a lucky break and sold the expression, so I am getting the tables and the engraver with that money, and no extra money out at this time around for me. I might even have enough left over for paper for x-mas cards. I am REALLY low on paper.

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby Angel135612 » September 24th, 2011, 8:18 pm

Okay I have to ask... do you really use the engraver to score with, or do you mean the embossing tool?? I have both, but haven't used either one too much. I would think the smaller ball on the embossing tool would make good score lines, and wouldn't tear into your paper. Although I suppose if you turn the force way down, the engraver wouldn't do that either... so many things to learn and to experiment with... I just don't have enough time to do it all.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby pigtailpat » September 24th, 2011, 8:24 pm

Yes, the engraver is the one to score with - if it is anything like the gazzy's engraver. Using the embossing tool for scoring is very problematic. You have to use the embossing mat for embossing, otherwise you don't get much of an emboss. You can't easily switch mats when you gotta score, and then cut. Using the engraving tool is just so much simpler for scoring than anything, and you can easily just switch out to the bladeholder to cut.
pigtailpat

Postby Suzan » September 24th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Angel135612 wrote:Okay I have to ask... do you really use the engraver to score with, or do you mean the embossing tool?? I have both, but haven't used either one too much. I would think the smaller ball on the embossing tool would make good score lines, and wouldn't tear into your paper. Although I suppose if you turn the force way down, the engraver wouldn't do that either... so many things to learn and to experiment with... I just don't have enough time to do it all.

The negraving tool actually with score the paper, I have heard people using the embossing tool also, but I don't have that so I don't know
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » September 25th, 2011, 2:41 am

pigtailpat wrote:Gigi -

Get out that engraver! That's an order!! You will thank me later.

Engraving on the gazzy was my favorite thing! On the cougar, with the additional force available, it has got to be the best ever!! Once the tables come into being, I'm getting mine with the tables. I had a lucky break and sold the expression, so I am getting the tables and the engraver with that money, and no extra money out at this time around for me. I might even have enough left over for paper for x-mas cards. I am REALLY low on paper.

Pat

LOL! Yes Ma'am!! I will give it a try! It's time I try some of the extra accessories that I have! Thanks for the encouragement.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar