Cougar Error

Cougar Error

Postby Gail » August 24th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Now, I am getting an error message. "An error occurred when trying to communicate with the target device: Overlapped I/O operation is in progress." I am using the usb cable and it is online and I set my xy coordinates at the bottom in the orange numbers at 15 with Make the cut trying to cut a butterfly. Can anyone tell me what is going on now? Every time I get a few minutes to cut something I am getting some kind of error and have yet to cut anything except set up for pnc. I even reset everything a couple of days ago and started the tutorial setting it up again. Thanks

Gail
Gail

Re: Cougar Error

Postby CaseysAngel » August 24th, 2011, 6:41 pm

oh you are using MTC aren't you? Make sure you are on the right port as well as the correct cutter.
CaseysAngel

Postby Gail » August 24th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Yes, I understood that this was what I would use with it. However, I am finding that most everyone is using signcut here.
Gail

Postby Gail » August 24th, 2011, 10:45 pm

My system management said Com 5 when I reset it. Got those same errors then. Now I look again and I have com 3, com 5 and com 9 to select from. I changed it to Com 9 and it cut and selected KnK Maxx as the cutter I had originally selected Black Cat from the Cut Project With like the video said. Each time you unplug it from the computer does it find a new com? I had my velocity set to 110 and force = 50. I am using thin paper. It tore the inside design but did not cut the mat. I changed it to v=55 and F=45. It cut the mat and tore the paper up on the inside design. Should I have not changed the force and slowed it down more? Thanks
Gail

Postby Phyllis » August 24th, 2011, 11:37 pm

Gail, I don't think it's your velocity but maybe you could increase your force. I usually cut at least 80 lb card stock and I use velocity as high as 300 and and force from 100 -120. But I'm not sure about thin paper, is it printer paper you're using? Also make sure your blade is not out too far.
Phyllis

Postby Gigi » August 24th, 2011, 11:46 pm

Gail wrote:My system management said Com 5 when I reset it. Got those same errors then. Now I look again and I have com 3, com 5 and com 9 to select from. I changed it to Com 9 and it cut and selected KnK Maxx as the cutter I had originally selected Black Cat from the Cut Project With like the video said. Each time you unplug it from the computer does it find a new com? I had my velocity set to 110 and force = 50. I am using thin paper. It tore the inside design but did not cut the mat. I changed it to v=55 and F=45. It cut the mat and tore the paper up on the inside design. Should I have not changed the force and slowed it down more? Thanks

Gail - can't speak to MTC as I use Signcut, but one thing you did say caught my eye - about unplugging it from the computer.

If you are plugging it into the same port, then your com port should not change, but if you are plugging it in a different place, than it will.

I am using a laptop but have mine plugged into a usb hub so never have to unplug it.

I agree that it sounds like your blade is out too far with the tearing. 40-45 should be about right for think paper depending on the humidity etc.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Gail » August 25th, 2011, 12:06 am

I am also using a laptop. And I plug it back into the same usb. I was worried about plugging into a hub. As far as using MTC, I did not think I could learn another software and a machine too, so that was why I went with the cougar.

I used a thicker printed paper and it cut it out with very little shards when I went back to my original settings...but I liked the other paper better for my project. V=105, F = 80. Are you telling me that when I use a very thin paper I should reset the blade? I really appreciate the help
Gail

Postby Gigi » August 25th, 2011, 2:00 am

HI Gail -

So hard to answer without seeing it. But if there is a big difference between the cardstock and the thin paper, your blade may be extended too far. I rarely have to reset the blade, just the pressure. But the way you describe the cut just made me wonder about the length of the blade.

As far as plugging into a hub, that works fine. I "think" Dawn has hers plugged into a hub too, but then she has lots of hubs!!! :shock: I have no problem with mine in the hub, but I do use the keyspan so I am getting a stronger connection from the serial port to usb. As for the com port changing, I didnt think it changed as long as you plug into the same port, so I just don't know.

I am sure Dawn will have the answer on the cutting issues and the com port when she gets on here soon.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Thyme » August 25th, 2011, 3:31 am

I use a hub and have no problems, but it varies from computer to computer. I also only ever use powered hubs.
What you do need to be aware of is that some computers will add a new port every time you plug in a device, regardless of whether you use the same port or not (and regardless of whether it is in a hub or not)
I have seen computers where the port number has got into 3 figures! And this can affect the communication, when you send something to cut, or to print for that matter, the computer will start looking for the port at number 1 ans work its way up - the higher the port number the more time it has to spend looking and the greater the potential for a problem.

Re cutting with the thin paper -
Is your paper very firmly stuck down?
Is your blade sharp, for thin delicate media you do need to ensure that your blade is in good condition, thin paper will rip much easier than card
Thyme

Postby CaseysAngel » August 25th, 2011, 6:42 am

MTC will change the com port # everytime you unplug and plug back up if the computer is on. Mine does that. then I use to have to figure out AGAIN which one was the cougar, the E, and the Cr. I have nothing installed anymore but the Cougar so it's not as much of an issue.

BTW, you should never be using COM3 for your cutter if you are on a windows system. That's usually received for the computer (modem, etc).
CaseysAngel

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar