A virtual party invite....

Re: A virtual party invite....

Postby kim » April 20th, 2013, 12:07 pm

I still have nothing to show. :banghead: MTC won't handle my file...it quit in the middle of etching. Ruined one of my mirror sheets. I was so disgusted, but will save the day with it. I am going to save it to experiment with it....inks, etc. See what effects I can get with it. So all is not lost.

I made another file to etch and what does MTC do? Yep, stops in the middle. BUT this time I did an air cut....no blade or tool, just let the machine run to see if MTC would complete the "cut". Good thing too! I have been working on getting SCAL up and running but if you saw my other post, I am having difficulties with it. Been working all morning on it but to no avail. But I will eventually get it.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Gigi » April 20th, 2013, 12:16 pm

I think that is why we use SCAL for etching/engraving as it can handle the larger files....... bummer Kim but so smart not to ruin a second sheet and try it first!! I am sure I would have ruined a second one before I learned! LOL :hide:

Diane - really CUTE tea box!! I need to experiment more with their files - heaven only knows I have enough of them!!! :roll:
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Elizabeth » April 20th, 2013, 12:23 pm

Diane, your tea box looks great! (I need to go make some tea. A ladybug landed in my mug this morning, so I am low on caffeine! Lady bug kisses are not as nice as they sound! :ROFLMBO: ) I love SVG Cuts, too. Their files are so thoughtfully put together.

Kim, I hope you get SCAL working soon. I haven't updated to the latest version, so mine is working just fine. I should get out my engraving tip and play this afternoon. (If I don't take a nap because of the aforementioned lack of caffeine.)

I am waiting for gel to dry on a mini canvas I messed around with. (mess being the optimal word here!) In the meantime, I am going to try again to add vinyl to some tiny bottles.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Angel135612 » April 20th, 2013, 2:48 pm

I decided to embellish my tea box before I started to work on anything else... I used some of the Crochet Trim from the SVGCuts Battenburg Lace and Crochet set, and the flowers and leaves are from the Spring Birdhouse set.
Front View.jpg

Side View.jpg

It amazes me how just a little bit of something else makes a HUGE difference. Now to figure out what I want to work on next... not sure it's going to be the tea cup or tea pot, I don't have enough papers to match the tea box... LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Postby Gigi » April 20th, 2013, 2:50 pm

That is REALLY pretty Diane. Love the embellishments that you chose.

Hope to play tomorrow.........Have fun everyone!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kim » April 20th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Cute Diane!!! I was hoping to play all day but got sidetracked with my cousin. She wears me out! But she is on her way down south to be near her mom. Hope she stays, but my aunt doesn't need the stress. I'm just not used to all the drama that comes along with her. The lies is what really gets me. We don't lie in my family. Everything that comes out her mouth is a lie. Bad thing is that she can't even keep her lies straight and then asks me if her previous story she told me was a lie or did she tell me the truth. :ROFLMBO: Felt like telling her that it was a 99.9% chance that it was a lie.

Now, I need to destress and get to crafting! Here is my first project. I used the distressing tool for this. I didn't get the image lined up just right, but it still turned out great. I couldn't find a stacking alignment feature in SCAL. Is there any place where there is some sort of alignment? When I zoomed in, it looked like it was lined up but obviously it wasn't. I love this mirror stuff. And the tool is just awesome.

Shout out to Sherri!!! I have loved my engraving tool since I first got my Cougar and now I am loving the etching and destressing tool. I don't think I will ever get to my embossing tool (that is the one that I THOUGHT I would use all the time). Sherri, you have made crafting fun with the awesome machine and tools you provide us. I never had this much fun with the bug. Now to go on to the next project. Which one shall I do next? :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kim

Postby Gigi » April 20th, 2013, 5:19 pm

Looks terrific Kim!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » April 20th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Kim, That looks great!!! I don't know if there is a stacking tool, but there is an alignment tool, that will align sides, centers or tops and bottoms... that may have been what you are looking for. It's on the right side of the screen under the Position Size window. In SCAL when you use one of those, it moves it on the mat also, so if you align the top, it will move your design to the top of the mat.... that is something I don't like about SCAL, but I don't know if there is a way to change it either. I would prefer to be able to align to another object, not the whole mat.
Angel135612

Postby kim » April 20th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Thanks Diane. I will try that the next time. I am trying to decide what my next project will be. Dad sidetracked me with venting over my cousin. :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: It's one of the reasons I am living with him....protecting him from "family". Some of them see him as an easy target and constantly hitting him up for money. Thank goodness the other half of the family is great. This particular cousin makes us feel like a piece of roadkill and she is the vulture. :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: REALLY! She wanted mom's car and is constantly going through the house asking and hinting about what she wants. But I guess that is what meth does to you. She actually used, operative word "used" , to be the best one of all of us.

I think I am going to make a file for her sister, which is one of my favorite cousins....my Starbucks buddy. She is actually the one that we thought would turn out the worst out of all of us but has turned out to be one of the best.
kim

Postby Elizabeth » April 20th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Love your embellishments, Diane! Isn't it fun to combine different sets to get just the look you want?

Kim, your engraving is beautiful! I am inspired to get my stuff out and do a test cut tonight. If I get it figured out, I could make some really pretty gifts. I have all of my metals from Tyler, plus some mirrored stuff, too.

DD is begging for a trip to the icecream shop that just opened for the season. It is about 35 degrees out, but whatever. (Really, I think she wants a chance to drive as much as she wants icecream. She is a bit obsessed!)

When we get back, I will be crafting again, if anyone wants to Skype, I will try it out again. (I have a hard time working and talking at the same time, story of my life :ROFLMBO: )

My Skype ID is shrinkingmimsy.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » April 20th, 2013, 7:02 pm

And here what I did late this afternoon:
DSCN6649.jpg

Inspired by: http://pinterest.com/pin/14777504999972222/

I also worked on this project:
Step one: Make an ugly canvas.
DSCN6637.jpg

Step two: Cover it all up with a couple of coats of Gesso!
DSCN6643.jpg

I'll try to make it match the idea in my head later. It has some built in texture now! :ROFLMBO:

Elizabeth

Postby Angel135612 » April 20th, 2013, 7:54 pm

So when I wasn't on the computer checking the forum all day, I was TRYING to make something else today. I'm not sure I like it, but like most of my stuff, it is more a matter of doing it to see how to put it all together, and not so much to have something pretty when I'm done.
I have been a fan of The Gentleman Crafter for some time, and always admire the boxes he makes and have been wanting to make one using his structure strips, (brilliant idea if you ask me... but then I'm challenged when it comes to figuring out how to put things together). So I got out my new Fiskars ProCision Paper Trimmer, (Thank you Michaels 40% off coupon) and cut some kraft cardstock into 1 inch strips and then scored them down the middle, and added ScorTape to both sides. (I can see me just sitting and making a ton of these when I want to just chill and do something mindless, but still want to be "crafting", although I don't know that I would need a "ton" of them... LOL)
I then cut out some cheap flimsly chipboard, as that is all I had around and I wanted to just "see" what I was doing before I used any "good" stuff. Well, when I was putting it together, I wasn't thinking about the thickness of the chipboard when I put the sides on with the structure strips.. so it isn't "perfect"... LOL Then I covered it with some paper that I have had around here for a couple of years and never found a good project for it.. so it volunteered for this project. It isn't the best, and I still need some embellishments (don't I always???) But I think the more I make the better I will get, and I will start watching more of The Gentleman Crafter's videos and pay closer attention to how he makes his boxes.
My next part is to figure out is how to finish off the corners with the decorative paper, so they look more finished... I'm thinking something like Washi Tape would be perfect for this, but I don't have any... and if I didn't get it on perfectly straight, I wouldn't be happy with it, so not sure that is the best way to finish the corners. If any one has any suggestions or ideas on how to finish the edges (the top edges need something too) I would be grateful for any ideas... okay so enough rambling here is a picture of my box, such as it is.....
Box.jpg
Angel135612

Postby kmmhug » April 20th, 2013, 8:17 pm

This is the what I have been working on today. About two weeks ago my husband and I were cruising thru a antique store and came across this old thread box in pretty rough shape. My husband took it apart and refinished it and fixed it up. The glass that was in the compartments in front was missing in one and broken in the other so I decided to recreate it using alcohol inks inspired by http://pinterest.com/pin/259027416040541953/ I purchased the glass, cut it to size, ground it on the edges so it was safe to handle while painting and then painted them. I am trilled with how they turned out. I plan to have him install them with the painted side facing in (as shown in the pictures so that I don't have to worry about scratching them and then this will be new storage for glitters, embossing powders, and sundries.
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Postby Elizabeth » April 20th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Diane - I am a fan of Jim the Gentleman Crafter as well. I love his construction techniques. Your box came out great. That paper is so cheery!

Kathy - That glass looks amazing!!!! I wouldn't have known it wasn't original to the piece if you hadn't said so. What a great find.

Elizabeth

Postby LisaH » April 20th, 2013, 9:28 pm

All of you have fabulous projects going on!!

Hoping I can play some tomorrow...
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby kmmhug » April 20th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Thanks Elizabeth. I am really happy with how it turned out. My husband is gluing the tops on then will be able to add the hardware tomorrow. I ended up backing them with foil as well that I crinkled to add texture to the glass as well. It looks so much like the broken glass that was in it and I am so happy with how it turned out!
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Postby kim » April 20th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Diane, that is such a cute box! Love the paper you added.
Kathy, what a find! You did an amazing job with the glass. I am still working on my trashdump box. Gotta find a day when it isn't rainy or windy. Difficult these days. LOL.
I am working on projects, but keep getting sidetracked. Working on a SVGCuts thing right now. Trying to view the video on how to put it together but the YouTube video seems to be not working.
kim

Postby Gigi » April 21st, 2013, 2:24 am

Wow - you have all made awesome projects. The glass work is beautiful, Kathy.
Love the box, Diane - I had forgotten about that blog.
Cannot wait to see the end result of the canvas Elizabeth. Love watching the creative process.

Thanks for sharing!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » April 21st, 2013, 6:36 am

Oh that thread box is STUNNING!!!!!! What a special piece for sure!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Angel135612 » April 21st, 2013, 8:37 am

Kathy, I can't wait to see how the box looks when you have it all back together. I keep thinking I would love to find an old treasure and refinish it, but the truth is, I wouldn't have the time to work on something right now, until my overtime at work goes down considerably. You can see all the work you and your husband have put into the box... amazing!!!
Angel135612

PreviousNext

Return to Challenges