Cards for Soldiers

Cards for Soldiers

Postby Phyllis » August 8th, 2011, 8:39 pm

I have copied the theme and rules from the head of this group on the other board but you can address any questions to me if you want. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will PM you my address. Thanks to anyone who can participate.

Phyllis

Scrap your Stash
of cool blues & greens with grey & white
General use cards for all occasions
Aug 5 ~~ Aug 26

Important Notice!!!!! We have new shippers for Central and West/Mountain

Time for another theme, and this time we need to restock the general use cards.
Lets use some more of that never ending stash. Where does it all come from? Seems like the more we use, the more we accumulate.
These are the themes most requested by the troops. Birthday, Anniversary and Thinking of You cards for children, spouses and sweethearts. I happen to have a lot of paper in blues & greens, so lets go with those this time.
Of course as always you can use any colors you want. Maybe you have an abundance of another color you would like to use up. That works for me.

If you have questions about shipping, it is best to direct it to your shipper by pm. If you just need the address you can request that info on the thread. Several of the regulars are able to answer that and other other general questions, sometimes faster.
East coast .. imnchghere
West coast & Mountain … Phyllis
Central… RGK

PLEASE keep the embellishments limited. If it makes a lump in the envelope it is too thick. Layers are ok, but use the thinner pop dots and try to keep it to one. Also watch the sizes of buttons and brads. Skittles are discouraged.

* * * * For those of you who are new, let me explain how this works.

We have heard from spouses and family members of our deployed soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen, how much they enjoy getting a nice card in the mail. Since there is no card shop in the neighborhood shopping center, we are the next best thing. We have been told the PX/BX/NEX run out of cards quickly and that having nice cards to send home to family is a great moral booster.

Make cards in any way that you want. All different, all the same, or a mix of both. Just leave the inside blank to give the soldiers room to write home in and include envelopes. NO stamp necessary, (soldiers get free mail when deployed.)
A2 size cards are the most efficient to package up and ship (300+ will fit in a box), however all sizes are fine and appreciated. Do what you are comfortable with and again have fun. Try not to have thick embellishments and glitter is discouraged for the safety of the troops. We are told it can get on their clothing and be seen with night vision goggles.

***NOTE there is a FAQ thread with answers in this forum. Please refer to it if you have any questions.

When you sign up you will sign up for how many you want to do 15,30,45,100. whatever # works for you. You will also tell us what time zone you are in. The time zone will tell us to whom you will ship your cards to when you are finished.

That shipper will then compile all the cards and send them to units on the ground in Iraq, Afghanistan, or other bases. Each time zone has at least 2 or 3 units (a unit is 120-160 soldiers) to ship to.

Shipping is an expense to us that all the shippers have taken on out of their own pocket. However if you want to donate a dollar or two for shipping expense overseas then we welcome that. All money donated goes to pay for shipping to the units. YOU DO NOT have to donate any money to participate in this project.

If you have any qualms or questions about what we are doing with Cards for Soldiers, please ask in the thread. There are several great ladies that help keep this going and are always around.

Thank you for joining us and for standing behind our troops.
~~ pat (imnchghere)
Phyllis

Re: Cards for Soldiers

Postby Elizabeth » August 9th, 2011, 9:13 am

Thanks, Phyllis! Good to have some guidelines. Will you PM me your address, please? After this weekend, I will spend a couple of hours making cards with my two girls. We can design the files while in the car travelling for a family wedding. Not sure how many we will get done, but we will send them along to you. Again, thanks for doing this.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Phyllis » August 9th, 2011, 10:03 am

Thanks so much Elizabeth. I will PM you my address now.
Phyllis

Postby Retta » August 9th, 2011, 10:09 am

Pat - i would like to try this, when do you need them by?
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Phyllis » August 9th, 2011, 10:21 am

Rhetta, since these are general cards and not holiday related, the time is flexible. Most try to get them there sometime around or after the end date for that theme, but whenever you get them done is OK. We are constantly shipping cards. Holiday ones are more crucial since we have to have them there in time for them to send them out but general ones are flexible. Thanks so much.
Phyllis

Postby Retta » August 9th, 2011, 11:41 am

please pm me your address. I sure will try!
Retta

Postby Phyllis » August 9th, 2011, 12:59 pm

Thanks Retta, I sent you a PM.
Phyllis

Postby Retta » August 9th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Got it Phyllis, thanks!
Retta

Postby CaseysAngel » August 9th, 2011, 2:49 pm

I will do my best to help out as well honey. I have three birthday parties to plan, a fundraiser, a Girl Scout troop to get going again and the blog hop to do this month but I will do my best.
CaseysAngel

Postby Elizabeth » August 9th, 2011, 3:16 pm

Christy, How about you get some rest, in between all that work, and the girls and I will each make an extra card so you don't have to? You do so many things for others. Its ok not to do it all!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby Phyllis » August 9th, 2011, 5:24 pm

No problem Christy, do what Elizabeth said. I don't want you pushing yourself.
Phyllis

Postby Gigi » August 9th, 2011, 11:43 pm

Agree with all - you have to take care of you and that little one first and foremost. I know you want to do it all - we all do -but it's not worth pushing yourself to exhaustion.

Family first! Sending hugs......
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby CaseysAngel » August 10th, 2011, 11:46 pm

aww you guys are sweet. I'd really like to do my part if I can though!!!!!! HOpefully I'll have more time here soon. ALL the kid's go back to school next Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
CaseysAngel

Postby Phyllis » August 11th, 2011, 11:36 am

Woo Hoo on the kids going back to school, good for you, not so good for them. LOL. Seems like they had a short summer.
Phyllis

Postby CaseysAngel » August 11th, 2011, 1:03 pm

Actually mine had a LONG summer. They didn't go but like a week total, maybe a few days longer, the entire month of May and they got out June 1st (which they didn't go then either). So they got almost a month longer than usual because of the floods and them evacuating town.
CaseysAngel

Postby Elizabeth » August 16th, 2011, 7:20 pm

Hi Phyllis,

I am getting ready to cut some card for this challenge, and I was wondering about this part of the "rules"
Just leave the inside blank to give the soldiers room to write home in and include envelopes

Should I really leave the inside blank? I would normally put a simple sentiment on the inside, to match the theme of the card. I want to make sure that I get them right.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » August 16th, 2011, 7:20 pm

Hi Phyllis,

I am getting ready to cut some card for this challenge, and I was wondering about this part of the "rules"
Just leave the inside blank to give the soldiers room to write home in and include envelopes

Should I really leave the inside blank? I would normally put a simple sentiment on the inside, to match the theme of the card. I want to make sure that I get them right.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Postby Phyllis » August 16th, 2011, 11:38 pm

Elizabeth, yes, we normally leave them blank but if you prefer to put a verse inside, that's OK too, not a problem. The soldiers can use both. Thanks so much.
Phyllis

Postby Elizabeth » August 17th, 2011, 6:09 am

Thanks for the info Phyllis. I guess if I leave them blank on the inside, I will have time to get more done:)! I am excited to start cutting them tonight.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » August 24th, 2011, 9:35 pm

Here is a photo of eight cards that I completed for this challenge. I hope to have them ready to mail by Monday.
IMG_5713 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elizabeth

Next

Return to Challenges